Terms & Conditions
The following terms and conditions apply to all sections and pages under the Financial Capability (“FinCap”) website and, where relevant, to other services provided by us. The FinCap website is owned, run and managed by the Money Advice Service. The contact details are given below. Additional terms and conditions may also apply to other services provided through this website and these are set out below and/or will be explained or made available to you if you use these services.
The FINCAP website is a special website that exclusively concerns financial capability throughout the United Kingdom, and is separate from the Money Advice Service’s website which can be found at www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. They govern the relationship that you have with the Money Advice Service in relation to this website. By using or accessing any part of this website you will be deemed to have accepted these terms in full. If you do not accept these terms and conditions please do not continue to use this website.
These terms and conditions by posting an updated copy of them on this website from time to time. You should check this website from time to time to review the current terms and conditions. By continuing to use this website you agree to the amended terms and conditions.
2. Information about us
The FinCap website is owned, run and managed by the Money Advice Service, a limited company registered in England and Wales. Our registered office is at 120 Holborn, London, England EC1N 2TD and our registered number is 07172704. You can contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This website has not been approved by the FCA or by any financial regulatory authority of any other state or jurisdiction.
3. Your use of this website and our intellectual property rights
All tools and information available on this website are provided as a free resource and may not be used for commercial purposes of any kind without our prior written consent. Written requests to use the information available on this website for commercial purposes may be submitted via email to email@example.com or by letter to ‘Customer enquiries’ at the Money Advice Service registered address above stating that the enquiry concerns the FinCap website.
The Money Advice Service retains the right, without any obligation, to modify, update, withdraw or deny access to this website at any time and without notice. If the need arises, access to this website may be withdrawn, or the website may be closed down indefinitely.
Unless otherwise stated the Money Advice Service owns the copyright and any other intellectual property rights in all material on this website and in its publications (or are licensed to use the same). Materials include, but are not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance, graphics and documents on this website, as well as other content such as articles and other text.
All downloadable information materials on this site are licensed for non-commercial use under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivs 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Under the terms of this licence you must not alter, transform, or build upon these materials, use these materials for commercial use and you must identify the author of these materials.
Certain reports are made available for download on this website (the “Reports”). For clarity Reports are not reports hosted on third party websites to which the FinCap website provides links. Your use of the Reports are subject to the following additional provisions:
1. You shall not use and/or display extracts from the Reports in a context from which it may be reasonably inferred (in the opinion of the Money Advice Service) that:
- a. the Money Advice Service is promoting or recommending your argument, opinion, or point of view;
- b. your opinions or the views that you promote are the same or similar to those of the Money Advice Service;
- c. the Money Advice Service is endorsing or recommending you or your goods or services; or
- d. the Money Advice Service is affiliated in any way with you.
2. You shall not make any addition to, deletion from, alteration or adaption of the Reports (by selectively using extracts of the Reports or otherwise) that would distort the Reports (or give a reader of your work a distorted impression of the totality of the Reports) or otherwise affect the reputation of the Money Advice Service;
3. You shall always attribute the author in any extracts of the Reports you use in your work.
4. You shall not use extracts of the Reports in a work, or in part of a group of works which:
- a. promotes any form of illegal activity;
- b. could be reasonably considered by the Money Advice Service as defamatory; or
In the event of any inconsistency between these additional terms and the rest of these terms or the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivs 2.0 UK: England & Wales License, these additional terms will prevail in relation to use of the Reports.
4. Our liability to you
This website exists to assist you to understand and develop concepts around Financial Capability and the work of the Money Advice Service and third party organisations in this regard.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information on this website, in the Reports and any in associated publications is current and correct, no undertaking, representation, warranty or other assurance, express or implied, is made or given by or on behalf of the Money Advice Service, the FINCAP BOARD or any partners, employees, agents or advisers or any other person as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of the information, opinions, advertising, data or other materials contained on this website or the advice given by our advisers and no responsibility or liability is accepted by any of them for any such information, opinions, advertising or data.
The Money Advice Service is not liable for any damages (including, for example, damages for loss of business or loss of profits) arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of or inability to use this website, Reports, associated publications, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using this website, Reports, or associated publications. These terms and conditions do not exclude or limit liability (if any) to you for:
- Personal injury or death resulting from negligence
- Fraud and fraudulent misrepresentation, or
- Any other matter for which it would be illegal to exclude or to attempt to exclude liability.
5. Availability of this website
Whilst we try to ensure that this website is available 24 hours a day The Money Advice Service shall not be liable if, for any reason, the site is unavailable for any period of time.
The Money Advice Service make no warranty that this website is free from defects, viruses or anything else which may be harmful or destructive or that any defects and viruses that do arise will be corrected. No guarantee is given that this website will be compatible with all or any hardware and software that you may use.
The Money Advice Service does not control other websites linked to or from this website and is not responsible for the contents of them, or any changes or updates to such websites, nor is it responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any other websites.
6. Information on this website
The Money Advice Service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Money Advice Service does not provide a regulated service.
The information and Reports provided on this site are generic and should be of general assistance to you in understanding and developing concepts around FinCap.
Whilst the Money Advice Service tries to ensure the information contained on the website is accurate and up to date, it cannot be responsible for any inaccuracies in the information. The Money Advice Service has no responsibility to provide you with access to any additional information or to update this website, even if inaccuracies become apparent.
No person, especially those who do not have professional experience in matters relating to financial capability may rely on the contents of this website.
7. Contracting online
Nothing on this website is intended to be nor should be construed as an offer to enter into a contractual relationship with you or anyone else, except for these terms and conditions which govern the relationship between us in relation to your use of the website.
If you make a contract with a third party who is named or referred to on this website, it is your responsibility to ensure that the terms of that contract are acceptable to you and to take legal advice if necessary.
Any information that you provide while using this website will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 – please see the ‘Personal Information’ section here: http://www.fincap.org.uk/document/VhUo7yAAAB4Alnml/privacy-policy
Please refer to Cookie guide for more information on the cookies that are used on this website.
9. How do we protect your personal information?
The Money Advice Service makes every effort (through appropriate physical, organisational and technological measures) to ensure that your personal information is held securely and to safeguard against unauthorised access to your personal information.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. The Money Advice Service strives to protect your personal information after having received it, however you acknowledge that the privacy of your communications and personal information can never be completely guaranteed when it is being transmitted.
10. Amending or requesting a copy of your personal information
Please notify us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have provided us with personal information and you do not wish it to be used as described above, you believe that the information held about you is incorrect or if you wish to see which information is held about you as a result of your contact with us.
11. Prohibitions on your use of this website
You may not use this website for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms and conditions. In particular, but not exclusively you are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from this website any material:
- That is threatening, defamatory, obscene, indecent, seditious, offensive, pornographic, abusive, liable to incite racial hatred, discriminatory, menacing, scandalous, inflammatory, blasphemous, in breach of confidence, in breach of privacy or which may cause annoyance or inconvenience
- For which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals
- Which constitutes or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise be contrary to the law of or infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, in any country in the world, or
- Which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data).
The Money Advice Service shall fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or locate anyone posting any material in breach of this section.
12. Other applicable terms
Any contractual and non-contractual obligations and other matters arising from or connected with these terms and conditions shall be governed by English law and these terms and conditions shall be construed in accordance with English law.
The courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions.
Any provision of these website terms and conditions which is, or may be, void or unenforceable shall, to the extent of such invalidity or unenforceability, be deemed severable and shall not affect any other provision of these website terms and conditions.